Jesse: What is your full name and where are you from?
My Full name is Stanley Ben Hill, born in Auckland and went to school in Palmerston North and Nelson.
Jesse: Why did you choose the game of basketball?
Ben: My old man and Mum played so I was born into the game.
Jesse: What schools have you attended, and what were your achievements and highlights?
Ben: Went to St Peters for the first half of my college Years and then finished off at Nelson College. Also attended Waikato university and graduated with a BSC in Computer Science.
Jesse: You are a role model for our younger generation what advice do you have for them getting into basketball?
Ben: There are so many.
The game these days is a lot faster and the 3 pointer is a key factor.
Couple of Key points.
- Put down the PS4/Xbox controller and get outside and work on your skillset.
- Take the word “Can’t” out of your vocabulary
- Don’t except coming 2nd or failing strive to be number 1.
- Go back to the basics, correct footwork and technique and if your footwork and technique is good its then all about repetition.
- Take time and invest in yourself.
Jesse: What was been the ultimate highlights in your basketball career?
Ben: My Debut for the Tall Blacks In Napier and beating Australia at the same time was a highlight. Winner multiple NZ NBL championships too.
Jesse: Who has been your biggest influence in basketball and why?
Ben: My Mum and Tyrone Brown.
Jesse: How did you mentally prepare yourself for a game?
Ben: So my pregame workout starts with.
- Get to the gym 2.5 hours before.
- Lift for 30mins
- Shoot for 30mins single handed
- Shoot for 30mins normal.
- Last hour – team prep, get tapped, focus on the job at hand.
Jesse: Who is the ultimate women’s basketball player in New Zealand?
Ben: I cant pick just one so here is a couple.
This is hard when you think about the generational thing but here is my list.
Megan Compain, Leanne Walker, Carolyn Grey.
Jesse: Who is the ultimate men’s basketball player in New Zealand?
Ben: Stan Hill, Kerry Boagni, Pero Cameron, Phil Jones, Byron Vaetoe, Kirk Penney, Steven Adams.
Jesse: In terms of your playing career, what was the pinnacle for you?
Ben: Playing for the Tall Blacks for me was differently the pinnacle for me. There is nothing like representing your country at the highest level.
Jesse: Whats the best pair of basketball shoes you have owned?
Ben: I’ve hand a few pairs throughout my years, I found that adidas worked the best for me Gil Zero lows or the Pro Models.
Ben: Who was been the hardest person to guard in your career and why?
Ben: Pero Cameron- his physicality and IQ as a player were awesome. He could shoot, dribble and pass with the best of them.
Jesse: Best team mate?
Ben: Ray Cameron and Jarrod Kenny. Very down to earth people. Good team players and talk a lot of shit also.
Jesse: Who is the greatest player of all time and why?
Ben: Michael Jordan is the GOAT he was the ultimate competitor.
Jesse: If you had one piece of advice for your younger self, what would it be?
Ben: I turned down going to the USA and rather went to a NZ uni. I think the experience in the states would have been awesome.
Stay in shape over the summer.
Jesse: Can basketball in New Zealand be improved?
Ben: Definity can in all areas.
– Training to create quality Coaches and referees.
– Have facilities that are up to international standards.
– Basketball needs to be affordable to play both at national and international level.
– Funding and sponsorship needs to be improved.
– We need to start getting basketball people running basketball organisations.
Jesse: What is your favorite food?
Ben: My Mum Lasagna and a good steak.
Jesse: Best basketball movie or book of all time?
Ben: Space Jam, White men cant Jump, He got Game, Blue Chips.